How is Cost Determined for a Breast Augmentation?
Published on June 28, 2018 by Andrew Barnett
Breast augmentations can be a life-changing event for the right woman. In women who naturally develop small breasts and are unhappy with their figure, breast augmentation can provide the shape and balance many desire. Also, the procedure can restore breast volume lost as a result of childbearing, nursing, or the natural aging process. Implants can also help boost self-esteem and self-confidence in women who are unhappy with the current size and shape of their breasts.
Having performed over 5,000 successful breast surgeries over the course of my career, I can attest that no two operations are exactly alike. The highly individualized procedure can vary greatly across the country. In San Francisco alone, the cost can range anywhere from $6,500 to $12,000.
Breast Implant “Mills”, where surgeons are hired and paid on a per case basis by companies that aggressively market cheap surgery have driven the price down – unfortunately, that doctor may very well not be available to handle issues or concerns that may potentially arise, and the company that marketed the procedure will frequently direct you back to the surgeon… who’s simply not available.
What Goes into the Price You’ll Pay?
- Implant Type -Your personal preference can play a major role in the cost of your surgery. Silicone implants have a higher price tag than saline due to the manufacturing process and warranty.
- Anesthesiologist -This is a trained professional who monitors you during your surgery and keeps you comfortable throughout via intravenous sedation or general anesthesia. Trust me. You’ll be glad to pay for their contribution to your operation!
- Surgeon Expertise -A surgeon who’s in the early stages of their career is, who is less experienced, and who is trying to build their knowledge base, will often charge less. For the best possible outcome, you’re encouraged to opt for a surgeon such as myself who is 1) Board-certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery, 2) has the extensive knowledge and training necessary to prevent/address potential complications, and 3) has a large gallery of strong before and after photos that reflect many years of experience.
- Combination Procedures -Many women choose to have a breast lift or another procedure at the same time as their augmentation for a joint recovery time. Breast lift surgery improves loose, sagging skin while reshaping the breast and repositioning the nipple.
- Facility Fees -Surgery requires highly-controlled conditions including a sterile surgical venue and equipment used to ensure patient safety.
- Recovery Expenses -After your surgery, you’ll be placed on several medications to facilitate a speedy recovery as well as supplied a medical support bra.
When budgeting for your breast augmentation, it’s important to consider both the short and long-term benefits. Older breast implants had an average 10-year lifespan – the newest cohesive gel implants will, on average, last much longer. Breast augmentations can help you enjoy a proportionate figure and an improved self-image for a long time to come. (And shopping for clothes, lingerie, and bathing suits is a lot more fun!)
*Individuals Results May Vary
Take the Next Step
Ready to look and feel your best? Schedule a consultation to discuss your options today. Consultations are available in both our San Francisco and Walnut Creek offices. You may schedule for either location by calling (415) 879-8735. Renee or Laurie will help you and answer any pre-consultation questions you may have!